Troubles With Cammie

I’ve learned a few things about my little camera with an attitude.  One is that he gets a little warm in his plastic waterproof jacket.  This causes the plastic to fog on cold days, making for very blurry, boring videos.

IMG_0188

It seems that Sony has also discovered this problem and is now offering condensation reducing, anti-fog sheets as accessories.  While the idea of putting diapers on Cammie is rather fitting, I didn’t particularly like the words “helps prevent condensation” in their advertising.  I don’t want to come home with hours of video only to find a full diaper and a partially foggy lens.

My solution – drill two tiny holes (at an upward angle) just under the lens portion of the waterproof housing.

IMG_0178

I know, it felt pretty stupid drilling holes in a perfectly waterproof box but I figured that if Cammie wants to go swimming at some point, we’ll just have to buy him a swimsuit.  The result – no more fogging.  I haven’t been out in a heavy downpour yet so I’ll have to get back to you later about that.

***Please see the comments section for a better version of the drilling method which Pete was nice enough to contribute***

When I started using Cammie, I got one of these suction cup bases to mount him on.

IMG_0180

Seems like a good idea – put him anywhere and not have any permanent mounts glued to the vehicle.  What I found out was that the thin shell of the velomobile flexes a bit when you go over bumps.  This is only a little vibration when the camera is mounted right on the surface, but you put that camera on a little pole attached to that surface and the little vibration translates into a major wobble out where the camera is sitting!

So I’ve opted for the glued on mount for Cammie.

IMG_0193

I still plan to use the suction mount but I’ll have to use it where the velomobile’s body is more rigid and the road more smooth.

9 thoughts on “Troubles With Cammie

    • Glad it was helpful Kevin. This is my first camera so I can’t give you any comparative help. It does seem to handle the cold pretty well so far. Perhaps the heat buildup has something to do with it…

  1. G’day, I’ve been enjoying your videos. I stumbled across your blog whilst trying to find a solution to the Sony Action Cam fogging issues.
    I notice you drilled in the front lens part. I couldn’t see clearly on your pictures if you drilled just under the circular part that goes around the lens or just above. Did you drill upwards into that circular black foam part so air could get in just underneath the lens itself?
    Thanks for any info!

    Pete

    • Hello Pete,

      I’m glad you like seeing Cammie’s point of view. I drilled the holes from the outside, just under the lens, and at an upward angle so that any moisture on the outside would have to flow ‘uphill’ to get in. There is a “V” slot around the circumference of the lens which I rested the drill bit in. To avoid running the bit onto the lens, first drill perpendicular to the front surface until you have a hole started, then angle upward. I was aiming to get the holes just behind the lens on the inside.

      This worked pretty well last winter and most of the summer but I experienced some fogging when the humidity was very high, especially in the fog or rain. I’m guessing that a closed case with diapers would be better for that. I haven’t tried the diapers yet…

      • Hee hee, diapers, yep, good word for them! I’ve used them on the Sony and the Gopros. For the Sony, I tried the Sony ones, fogged, tried the Gopro ones, fogged, tried both at the same time, fogged, tried a silica gel packet from a bottle of vitamins, still fogged 😦
        So I bit the bullet and drilled a couple of medium holes on the underside of the case. If you hold your case and look at it from the end, looking at the start/stop button, you’ll see those two gaps that run along the length of the underside of the case, opening only at the back end of the case. I angled a drill into those gaps from the back and drilled in there. The idea is that water running down the outside of the case couldn’t reach the holes because of they’re protected by the outer plastic bits that reach down to connect to the tripod part.
        Dunno how effective they’ll be but I tried it out tonight by setting WIFI and Stabilisation on the camera to ON and then running it at a high frame rate, I think I did the 1080 at 60fps, trying to make it run hot.
        Then I hung the camera out the window as it’s cold and damp outside. No fogging! Woop! I’ll see if I can take it for a ride tomorrow to see how it fares.
        Will let you know. 🙂

    • Here’s what I did:

      It now works flawlessly and I’m not at all worried about being out in the rain with it or getting splashed with mud by other bikes, which happened on my ride on Sunday 🙂

      • Very cool, and thanks for posting your video. Your version of drilling looks much better than mine. I think I may have to put a couple of more vents in my case – just to ensure clarity… All the best to you Pete!

  2. Cheers Stuart, hope it helps others too. It was easy to do, I’m certainly no home handyman! 🙂
    Thanks for your inspiration with this, your idea helped me heaps!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s